[AG-TECH] ScreenStreamer

Andrew Rowley Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jun 1 08:13:58 CDT 2005

Hi,

The screen update rate is currently dependant on the power of the machine it
is running on.  This is due to the high processing required to capture the
screen and because it does not currently update only the changes.  I
sometimes find that if your machine is only getting 1fps, try setting the
rate lower.  This will reduce the amount of processing required, and may
allow slightly faster transmission (e.g. set the rate to 2 - if this does
not help try 1.5).

To address your second point, Java Web Start caches the application for use
offline (just run javaws without any command line options).  The main
problem with this is that this will only allow you to access the last venue
that you used.  You can actually download the application if you are worried
about this happening.  The url for this is
http://www.memetic-vre.net/software/ScreenStreamer/ScreenStreamer.jar.  The
argument is of the form address/port/ttl where address is the address to
send to and/or receive from, port is the port number and ttl is the ttl to
send with.

I will take this into account when I update the toolkit service (which is
currently a bit of a hack) - I would guess that I will create two versions
which you can choose depending on preference.  The first will have the Jar
file included (and hence will need manually updating when a new version is
released), and the second will download from the server.

The idea of the web launch, in case you are interested, is so that I can
update ScreenStreamer and then you will get the latest version without
having to do anything.  This way, there will never be incompatibility issues
between different versions of the software.  However, I do see your point
about the website being down at any point.

Andrew :)

Access Grid Support Centre,
RSS Group,
Manchester Computing,