[AG-TECH] windows x64

Tom Oinn tmo at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jul 18 10:42:59 CDT 2005

John Hodrien wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Michael J. McMahon Jr. wrote:
>
>> I'll be beginning my hunt for such drivers soon and I can let you know
>> how
>> it goes. But I'd expect a fair performance boost for AG stuff under the
>> 64-bit OS and hardware.
>

> I have to ask...  Why would you expect much of a performance boost?

You could potentially get a boost iff the codecs were recompiled to take
advantage of the 64 bit integer units I guess, you won't see any gains
otherwise. Personally I had Win64 on my machine here (dual opteron) and
removed it after a few days to revert to XP, enough stuff didn't work
properly that it really wasn't worth bothering with.

Tom