[AG-TECH] firewall / HTML ports

Fred Dech fdech at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 20 20:54:01 CST 2005

FYI.
in a node setup today for collaborators we ran into bizarre problems.
even after network support opening all of the ports in the firewall
(but apparently not completely disabling it), we were still not able to
connect to a venue at either an 8000 or 9000 port address.  it turned out
that the firewall was still refusing the connection because it was not
originating from an HTML server as it was configured to expect from ports
in that range.  this was after about 5 hours where networking blamed it
on anything other than their firewall, which was completely open.

--fred