[AG-TECH] Fedora Core 3 and rat

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Sun Feb 27 19:17:51 CST 2005

Hi Jeremy,

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, "Eric Olson" wrote:
> If you haven't already, make sure fedora's firewall isn't preventing
> rat from getting multicast.
> I usually clear it with "/sbin/iptables -F" since we have an external
> firewall.  You could probably also disable the service "/sbin/service
> iptables off".  Make sure to turn it back on or poke the appropriate holes
> in it if you need a firewall.
>
> Eric
>
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Jeremy Mann wrote:
>
>> I just install Core 3 RPMs from
>>
>> http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~grangenet/ag_fedora
>>
>> and rat doesn't come up. I see that the release 2.3-5 from November had
>> this problem fixed. Did 2.3-6 reintroduce the problem?

The AccessGrid 2.3-5 RPM rat fix was primarily for the Fedora Core 1 RPMs
where the OSS sound driver was used instead of ALSA, and subsequently rat
would fail to appear. The fix just involved recompiling rat with an older
g++, a few weeks later Steve Smith came out with a patch which cleaned up
the rat code and worked with whatever g++ version.

So it's most likely a Firewall related issue like Eric mentioned.

Cheers,
Doug