[AG-TECH] XAP setup - urgent

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Thu Feb 17 17:55:42 CST 2005

G'day All

I hope you don't mind, but I will put my 2 cents worth here.

I actually disagree with having to add more mic's to support all of the
users, etc.  We currently have 4 microphones (2 desktop and 2 ceiling
mounts mic's) which have supported up to 20 people for a single
AccessGrid meeting.

Our other AccessGrid, which only has 2 ceiling mounted mic's regularly
supports 6-8 people.

But no matter how well you design your AccessGrid and placement of your
mic's, the more aggressive (louder) speakers will generally sit near at
the front where the mic's are placed and the quite speakers will sit out
the back.

I believe that this isn't really a technological problem, but rather a
human nature problem.  I find that getting the users of the AccessGrid
to interact during the meeting and asking the speakers to raise there
voice works the best.

Alternatively, by moving the mic's away from the speakers and increasing
the gain will give better coverage.

As a last note, I totally agree with the statement "for the tech to
vanish...", as generally once I have setup a AG session, I walk away and
only come back to shut the system down.  Once you have you level
configured correctly, you shouldn't have to play with them much at all.

I hope this makes some sense.

Cheers,
Jason.

Jason Bell, B.I.T.
B. Info. Tech. (Honours) Student

Network Engineer
Information Technology Division
Central Queensland University

High Performance Computing Support Officer
Central Queensland University

Research Assistant to the Nonlinear Intelligent Systems Research Group
Faculty of Informatics & Communication
Central Queensland University

E-mail : j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Phone : 07 4930 9229