[AG-TECH] Venue Client won't start vic and rat

Adam Carter adam at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Mon Dec 12 10:32:39 CST 2005

Hi,

A collaborator of mine has just been in touch to let me know that her Access
Grid installation has inexplicably stopped working. In particular, the Venue
Client can't start vic and rat. The following error message is received in
the Video Service log:

12/12/05 17:18:32 2760 ProcessManager     processmanager.py:59 DEBUG
Creating
process: C:\Documents and Settings\videoconference\Application
Data\AccessGrid\local_services\VideoService\vic.exe -u
C:/DOCUME~1/VIDEOC~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/VideoService_3304.vic -C "Video"
rusagvideo.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/51016
12/12/05 17:18:32 2760 ProcessManager     processmanager.py:97 ERROR process

creation failed: (193, 'CreateProcess', 'No error message is available')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\AccessGrid\Platform\win32\ProcessManager.
py", line 70, in StartProcess
    startup_info)
error: (193, 'CreateProcess', 'No error message is available')

Has anyone seen this before? Can anyone suggest a cure (or even better,
advise as to what might have caused this)?

It's similar to a problem I've seen before, and never really got to the
bottom of. We've stopped and restarted services, removed and added using
"Manage My Node", rebooted (twice) but the problem persists. Other than
reinstalling everything we're running out of ideas. It seems to be a problem
with Python processes.

Any help much appreciated,

--
Dr Adam Carter, Applications Consultant, EPCC, The University of Edinburgh
adam at epcc.ed.ac.uk | +44 131 650 6009 | http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~adam