[AG-TECH] AG port usage issues

R. P. Channing ["Rick"] Rodgers rodgers at nlm.nih.gov
Fri Dec 2 16:35:45 CST 2005

David,

Thanks for the cogent remarks  -- what I was hoping, though, was that
folks would take the rough first pass I had made, and actually edit it
to reflect their suggested improvements, and then re-post it to the list --
any chance you'd be willing to take a crack at it?  After several passes,
we might end up with a very useful short document!  We are all busy, I know,
but I was hoping we could spread the labor among a number of us...

Best Regards, Rick

> Subject: Re: [AG-TECH] AG port usage issues
> Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 17:02:49 -0500
> From: <bernholdtde at ornl.gov>
> To: "Rodgers, Richard \(NIH/NLM/LHC\) [E]" <rodgers at nlm.nih.gov>
> Cc: <bernholdtde at ornl.gov>
>
> I agree a simple organization like this would be most useful.  The
> current document is hard to use.
>
> Don't forget to catalog whether each port is inbound or outbound (some
> sites have firewalls that restrict outbound connections too) and
> whether the protocol is TCP or UDP.
>
> For completeness, it may also be worth noting the multicast address
> range in the same document.  It is not uncommon for firewalls to be
> configured by default to block all multicast traffic.  This is
> particularly true of software firewalls and the home-grade
> firewall/router boxes.
> --
> David E. Bernholdt                   |   Email: bernholdtde at ornl.gov
> Oak Ridge National Laboratory        |   Phone: +1 (865) 574 3147
> http://www.csm.ornl.gov/~bernhold/   |   Fax:   +1 (865) 576 5491

R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D. * rodgers at nlm.nih.gov * (301)435-3267 (voice, fax)
OHPCC, LHNCBC, U.S. National Library of Medicine, NIH
Bldg 38, Rm. B1N-30F2, 8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda MD 20894 USA
http://lhc.nlm.nih.gov/staff/rodgers/rodgers.html