[AG-TECH] Access Grid Townhall Reminder - December 6

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 1 12:24:21 CST 2005

The December Townhall is scheduled for Tuesday, December 5, at 10:00AM CST
(16:00 UTC).  It will be held in the Argonne National Laboratory venue on the
institutional venue server (Go to https://ivs.mcs.anl.gov:9000/Venues/default, then
Government Institutions Lobby, then Argonne National Lab).

Invited Speaker:  Gareth Lewis, Reading University
Multicast Application Sharing Tool (MAST)

MAST is an application sharing tool, which has been developed for the
eminerals project in the UK. We have groups of scientists distributed
around the country who already use the Access grid to discuss their
work. The main problem they had was to visualise information between
each other in a simple manner and between institutes with strict
firewall policies. MAST has been developed to overcome these problems by
using Multicast to send the visual data to each of the participants. We
have also created service scripts so that MAST can be loaded
automatically by the AG when you enter a new Venue. I will talk about
the development of MAST, and what feedback we have received from users
in our project.

There will be a second session held for those in the Asia-Pacific region, at
6:00PM CST (Wednesday, 00:00 UTC).  Of course, anyone is welcome to attend this
session, if it's more agreeable with their schedules.

ANL will be running bridges in the Argonne venue for this meeting.