[AG-TECH] mac graphics in powerpoint missing

Tom Coffin tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 30 09:29:33 CDT 2005

http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00534.htm

Problem
You open a presentation created on a Mac in a Windows version of PowerPoint
and get a message similar to this:

QuickTime(TM) and a Photo - JPEG decompressor are needed to see this picture.

(It might mention TIFF or some other decompressor instead)

Solution
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198204&Product=ppt>PPT2000:
QuickTime PICT Placeholder Appears in Place of Graphic

The problem, in a nutshell, is that PowerPoint/Windows doesn't support
QuickTime compression.
To solve the problem, you'll need to re-save then re-insert the graphic
into PowerPoint on the Mac.

Open the original graphic in the program that created it
Choose File, Save As
Select No Compression in the save options
Switch to PowerPoint, choose Insert, Picture, From File and choose the
newly saved picture.

These instructions are very generic. The menu options for your graphics
program will be different; you'll probably need to do some experimenting to
find the right set of options.

We'd like to hear about it in the PowerPoint newsgroup (Mac or PC) if you
come up with a good recipe that you'd like to have posted here.

Tom Coffin .......................... tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu

    NCSA-ACCESS                         cel: 703-477-5948
    901 North Stuart Street, #800       tel: 703-248-0105
    Arlington, Virginia 22203           fax: 703-248-0100