[AG-TECH] vic overlay

Andrew Sharpe andrew.sharpe1 at jcu.edu.au
Wed Aug 3 20:29:18 CDT 2005

Hi all,

I'm very interested in the overlay capabilities in the vic to allow for
a title/logo to be sent as part of the video stream.  I have been unable
to find a howto available for general access on the web, and I've
searched pretty hard.  The vic docco points to the "title-maker" script
which requires cb_wish as an interpreter.

Now, I've done a bit of work and I've got cb_wish compiled, so I'm ready
for the next step.  The problem is that I don't know what the next step
is.  So I try to run the "title-maker" script (I know it won't work
straight-out, but I've got to try something :), and get the following
output:

Error in startup script: can't read "name": no such variable
   while executing
"return -code error "invalid command name \"$name\"""
   (procedure "unknown" line 14)
   invoked from within
"$cb send tm_enable"
   (file "./title-maker" line 22)
called Tcl_FindHashEntry on deleted table
Aborted

I know there are some variables I need to change in the title-maker
script - eg name.  Anyhow, I think I'm not too far off and with a bit of
guidance will be there before too long.

I've got a few more problems, when running the cb_wish executable by
itself, it opens a window and has a % prompt at the originating
terminal.  At this point all looks good.  The problem comes when I try
and enter something at the prompt:

% ?
can't read "name": no such variable
% help
can't read "name": no such variable

Clearly this is the same problem as when I try and run the "title-maker"
script, so the problem is most likely my compile of cb_wish.

I just tried some other stuff to check how broken cb_wish was - and it
doesn't look too bad.
I cut and paste some stuff from the title-maker script and had the
following results.
If I enter the following at the cb_wish prompt

% frame .f -width 320 -height 240
% pack .f

then the window that cb_wish popped up changes dimension to 320x240.
That's about all I can do (know how to do) at the moment.

Thanks for your time, Andrew