[AG-TECH] NCSA AG 2 Venues Server trouble

Michael Miller mimiller at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 12 09:36:10 CDT 2005

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday and today we experienced problems with the NCSA AG 2 Venues
Server availability.  The problem was caused by a file with Extended ASCII
characters in it's name.  I believe the character is used in Word to
signify "smartquotes".  The SOAP implementation that the AGtk is built on
does not handle these characters and the Enter Venue function fails.

Please be careful what characters are used in filenames and shared
application instances.  Valid characters are ASCII 0-127 and you can find a
table here:
http://www.lookuptables.com/

You'll probably want to avoid anything lower than "SPACE" (Dec=32 Hex=20)
as I don't believe they are on the typical keyboard. And ASCII 127 is "DEL".

Many character sets from other languages use ASCII codes beyond
127.  Please be careful to find out from your participants if they are
using a character set other than the standard ASCII set.

Hopefully, what I've mentioned here makes sense, if others have suggestions
to clarify, please do.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanx,

Michael Miller
System Engineer
Video Technology Services
Persistent Infrastructure Directorate
University of Illinois - UC
217-649-0747

"If you're clear in your vision and trust the people in your team with
clear objectives, they will invariably do their best to achieve everything
desired, and usually deliver everything you could have hoped for and even
more." -Paul Debevec