[AG-TECH] AG security and multicast ?

Gavin W. Burris aka 86 ga5in at psu.edu
Fri Apr 8 10:43:41 CDT 2005

Here are two good resources:
http://multicasttech.com/
http://multicast.internet2.edu/

I get asked about security more and more now.  People are concerned that
their research will be broadcast to anyone with a multicast-enabled
network.  VIC and RAT do offer encryption keys, and that is an option
to enable with AGTk venue servers.  Rooms can have access based on
your globus certificates, too.  And AGTK uses SSL for its
client/server connections.

Would it be feasible to route multicast though a VPN for very secure
meetings?  Say, run a VPN server on the same machine that the venue
server is on, have clients connect their VPN client to it, and then
fire up AG over the encrypted tunnel?

--
Gavin W. Burris aka 86
Senior Systems Programmer