[AG-TECH] problem running AG2.3 client on WLAN

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Tue Apr 5 14:57:09 CDT 2005

I'm having trouble running AG on a Windows laptop connected to a wireless
network.

Our DHCP server allows only one MAC address per ip address, so
we have different ip addresses and names for the wired connection
and wireless, e.g. "mypc" and "mypc-w".

If the laptop is on the wired connection, it works. If it's on the
wireless, it hangs for ages (15 minutes ??).

The VenueClient.log says
  Toolkit config.py:196 DEBUG Using GLOBUS_HOSTNAME=mypc.triumf.ca as set
  in the environment

(i.e. it is using the wired connection instead of the wireless one
mypc-w.)

This variable GLOBUS_HOSTNAME seems to be set in the registry.
I set this to "localhost" with regedit and rebooted, and now I can switch
connection profiles OK. Vic and Rat must be restarted to use the new
connection.

However, the audio quality is unworkable on WLAN (IBM thinkpad with
builtin wireless, 802.11b access point at 11Mb/s) both multicast and
bridged. The task manager shows only about 17% network load but Rat's
dropping packets like crazy (70% loss) with more than a couple of
participants. I guess that's just normal with people at 16x16 unmuted,
so unless I can persuade everyone to mute or drop to e.g. GSM encoding
at 26k each it's not going to work too well ...

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)
security at triumf.ca