[AG-TECH] How to build from the CVS

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Wed Sep 29 07:22:42 CDT 2004

Hi Socrates,

> I was wondering what the preferred way of building the AGTk v2.3 is:
>
> a) I have been using the AccessGrid/tools/CvsSetup.py script (as described
> in the website) after a CVS checkout. With that the toolkit starts and
> runs
> fine.
> b) Our colleagues at Southampton have been using the
> AccessGrid/packaging/BuildSnapshot.py script. This method also results in
> an
> operational toolkit.
>
> So, could someone shed some light on whether (a) or (b) is most preferred
> and any possible side-effects of using one or the other method?
>
> We're both using Linux: RedHat 9.0 for case (a), Fedora Core 2 for (b).
>
> Any comments appreciated.

In packaging/linux/fedora/AccessGrid.spec.in I put a python >= 2.2.3
requirement which is the only thing stopping option (b) from building on
Redhat 9.0. RedHat includes python 2.2.3 with RHEW3 and FC1, while RH9 comes
with python 2.2.2 which has the broken XML parser.

For the moment to build the RedHat/Fedora AGTk 2.3 RPMs, you would have to
use the src tarball from http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~agn/ag_fedora/ as the
changes haven't been checked into CVS yet. Build instructions can be found
on that page.

As to using either option (a) or (b), it's a matter of preference and
whichever is more suitable for the situation. Probably the only difference
is that the RPM comes with optimized python bytecode files (*.pyo) and
Gnome/XDG menu entries.

Cheers,
Doug