[AG-TECH] Best single machine *Linux* hardware setup

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 10:12:32 CDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Robert Olson wrote:

> At 10:06 AM 9/27/2004, John Hodrien wrote:
>> Is the Rushmore significantly nicer than the G200 MMS?  Anyone looking at
>> using twin PCIe cards to get four nicely 3D accelerated outputs?
>
> Unless system designs have changed since I last benchmarked this stuff, you
> really want your video to be AGP-connected. High-rate video on the PCI bus
> just doesn't stack up to the performance on AGP adapters.

PCI Express.  Even more bandwidth than AGP (similar initially), and
symmetrical bandwidth.  Alienware have a dual 16x PCIe motherboard, I'm not
sure who else do.  That'd enable you to have four high performance outputs
with any old pair of PCIe graphics cards.

jh

--
"A fanatic is a person who can't change his mind and won't change the
  subject."                                           -- Winston Churchill