[AG-TECH] Best single machine *Linux* hardware setup

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 10:06:29 CDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Ivan R. Judson wrote:

> I'd look at this years Linux Journal Ultimate Linux box, here are the specs
> from www.pogolinux.com:
>
> Motherboard/chassis: Celestica A8440 (AMD-8131 Chipset)
> Memory: 16x PC2700 2048MB ECC REG (32GB)
> Network interfaces: BCM5704 10/100/1000 x 2
> RAID: Adaptec ASR2200S
> Storage: Seagate ST336607LC 36GB U320 SCSI HDD x 4
> Video: Appian Rushmore Quad-DVI PCI
> Audio: Creative Labs SB Audigy
> Power Supply: 500W Hotswap x 3
> Miscellaneous: PC Floppy drive, IDE DVD-ROM, USB
>
> I'm guessing this machine would run either windows or linux, and being a
> quad processor AMD64 it's probably got plenty of cycles.

Okay, that's one end of the scale.  If I can get the funding eh?

What's suitable for video capture?  Assuming an AMD64 setup, what would be the
minimum you'd spec for processors?

As far as an access grid setup, isn't this somewhat over beefed.  The disks
really don't matter a damn if you've got 32G of RAM, and you'd never hit all
that anyway.  Something like 2G a more reasonable amount for the AG, such that
you'll never hit disk under normal operations?

Is the Rushmore significantly nicer than the G200 MMS?  Anyone looking at
using twin PCIe cards to get four nicely 3D accelerated outputs?

jh

--
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
                                                      -- Pablo Picasso