[AG-TECH] Jabber Available!

Dwight D.McKay mckay at purdue.edu
Tue Sep 21 10:27:31 CDT 2004

Has anyone tried connecting with the ANL jabber server with Adium (a
Mac OS X jabber client)?

I'm getting repeated password requests and occasional network "read
error" errors. I tried seven times and that didn't help. ;-)

On Sep 21, 2004, at 9:46 AM, Monika Rabarison wrote:

> [...]
>>> for
>>> SSL
>>> Group Chat:				conference.mcs.anl.gov, (there is
>>> already a room named meadow)
>>>
>>> Now here's the detailed instructions for the rest of us.....:)
>>>
>>> You can download a jabber client at: http://www.jabber.org If you
>>> follow the
>>> link on the left column under Software called "clients", you will
>>> see a long
>>> list of jabber clients.  The client that many of us are running is
>>> Psi, it
>>> runs on linux as well as windows, and it is freely distributed.  You
>>> can
>>> choose whatever client you wish, however, if you are a beginner at
>>> this, you
>>> might want to stick with something that most others will have.  The
>>> instructions that follow are for the PSI client.....you're on your
>>> own if
>>> you choose something else.
>>>
>>> Download and install the PSI client on your machine.  When you get
>>> to the
>>> Choose Components screen, I disable the Automatic startup but you
>>> might want
>>> to have Psi fire up everytime you log in.
>>>
>>> The first time you launch Psi, you will see a window titled Open
>>> Profile.
>>> Select the "Profiles" button at the bottom of the window.  The next
>>> window
>>> that opens is the Manage Profiles window.  Select "New". The next
>>> window is
>>> the New Profile window.  Type in a profile name (whatever you
>>> choose) and
>>> select "Chat".  You can also enable emoticons here.  When you are
>>> finished,
>>> click "Create".
>>>
>>> Back on the Open Profile window, the newly created profile is listed.
>>> Select "Open".  This brings up an annoying little "Useful tips Page"
>>> which
>>> you can disable...and two other windows.  The Psi window will be
>>> your main
>>> menu type of window.  In the New Account window, type in a name you
>>> would
>>> like to call your account.  Select "register this account" if this
>>> is the
>>> first time you created this account.  On the Register Account Page,
>>> type in
>>> a Jabber ID (a name you want to be called on Jabber in the format
>>> username at jabber.mcs.anl.gov) and a password.  Select "Manually
>>> Select Server
>>> Host/Port" and type in host box  jabber.mcs.anl.gov, and in the port
>>> box
>>> 5222.  If you select "Use SSL encryption (to server) use the
>>> following port:
>>> 5223. Click "register" when you are finished.
>>>
>>> Once you have created your account, go back to the Psi main window.
>>> Your
>>> name should appear in the list next to a gray star (this means you
>>> offline).  At the bottom of this window are two buttons.  The status

--
   Dwight D. McKay, Technical Architect
   Envision Center for Data Perceptualization, IT at P, Purdue University