[AG-TECH] questions for September Townhall

Dioselin Gonzalez dioselin at purdue.edu
Mon Sep 6 19:21:39 CDT 2004

Hello, I have a couple of questions about programming shared
applications I would like to discuss:

1. GetApplicationID() in sharedApplicationClient:
This functions makes a call to its appProxy.GetId and passes an
argument, however the server returns an error because this function
doesn’t take an argument. A comment in the file says: “Check GetState
instead of GetId; GetId exists on old servers but with no private id as
argument”. What should developers do?

2. sharedAppClient.GetData():
This function reads data from the venue server and stores it in a local
cache. When reading from the cache, it doesn’t check whether the data
has changed, and so it always returns the first value it ever gets. When
a client makes an update using SetData, other clients will still get the
old one. What should I use if my application has one client constantly
updating data and other clients need to read the latest value of this data?

3. Shared applications need to maintain a lot of info about the session,
participants, application-specific data, etc. For the wish list, I would
like to have a more complex data store, something like a database server
that lets me execute queries :o) How can I approach this?

Thank you!

Dioselin.-