[AG-TECH] NetWorkadress allocation

Michael Braitmaier braitmaier at hlrs.de
Fri Sep 3 03:30:56 CDT 2004

I recognized that when I startup the bridgeserver it assignes the unicast
ports to the multicast ports different than last time. For example:
1st startup:
50096 --> 59922

2nd startup:
50096 --> 59924

Therefore I looked into the code and finally arrived at
NetworkAddressAllocator.py.
This class seems to select ports on a random base. I found the symbol
NetworkAddressAllocator.INTERVAL which I assumed to be a sequential port
selection approach. Unfortunately this seems not to be implemented yet. So I
tried to do it on my own, for our local installation, as we required fixed
assignment of uc-ports to mc-ports. My question now is regarding the method

def AllocatePortInRange(self, even, portBase, portMax):

I would like to know what the parameter even stands for. Is it indicating
whether the port to be allocated should be an even port number or uneven?

Clearing this for me would be very helpful
Thanks.

Michael Braitmaier
Dipl.-Inf. Michael Braitmaier
HLRS - Visualization / Video Conferencing
University of Stuttgart
Germany
Website: http://www.hlrs.de/organization/vis/people/braitmaier/