[AG-TECH] AG 2.0 and VRVS vic and rat and other ramblings

Douglas Baggett dbaggett at cise-nsf.gov
Thu Oct 21 14:37:03 CDT 2004

Ivan,

Thanks for the good description! Of course I don't want you to get the
wrong idea from my post. I think the direction of the middleware
framework is the correct direction and it seems to be coming along. As a
grid operator I look at what is used every day. We all know that
video/audio conferencing is THE major application that is being used.
 From the grid operator's perspective of trying to satisfy users with a
better system, the video and audio are THE most important application. I
understand completely that the audio and video are not the thrust of the
work being done, the middleware portion is.

Please correct me but it seems what you are saying in your post is that
the framework when completed should provide a consistent interface where
compatible video/audio applications could be plugged in AND assuming
everybody in a particular meeting is using compatible software we would
be able to take advantage of the development that's being done in video
and audio.

I stand corrected on the open source issue. I thought VRVS was open
source (which means I suppose that vic and rat must be under some sort
of license that is similar to the BSD license possibly?).

It looks like we have some smart people in related projects of lesser
scope (VRVS, OpenMash, ect...) that are concentrating on the particular
application of video and audio. It's seems to me to only make sense to
work with those folks in improving the video/audio aspect of the AG that
is not nessessarily being developed by the core AG team so that we can
use them with the middleware ( I don't want to belittle ANYTHING that
people like Bob Olson, yourself and others have done to fix vic and rat
and add features where nessessary). :)

I also don't want to imply that there isn't any talk between AG and the
other communities. It's just as a node operator I don't see much
movement with audio/video. It's been almost 3 years since I set up our
node and Vic and Rat work almost exactly the same as it did back in
2001. There have been some great fixes...many thanks for that (Really!)

What led me to ask the first question was how well the VRVS version of
Vic worked and the fact that they were working on adding MPEG4 and HDTV.
And of course the fact that InSors also added support for H.264 (but
only between InSors clients). I'm sure we (the node community) would
love to see these improvements, but the question is how to get the
development process going so we can see the features developed/deployed
in a way that everybody can take advantage of them. Especially in a way
that can take advantage of the AG 2.x framework in the way you've
described.

Do you think that once the middleware portion is complete and robust
that we will see the community dump vic and rat for something better?
(like some of the software you mentioned?) Should the community talk
about what we should move to when the middleware is ready for it so
there is some common video denominator during meetings?

-Doug B