[AG-TECH] Gentoo or Fedora

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 18 09:46:21 CDT 2004

Here's my $0.02.

I would advocate people use debian, slackware or the redhat/fedora derived
solutions. Gentoo is nice, but it's not an end-user variant of linux.

At the time we had to decide what to support, Gentoo was (and is) the linux
we have local sysadmin support for, so it was a no brainer. Now we're
getting support for desktop debian installs, we're probably going to
consider moving node/desktop installs from Gentoo to debian. We'll continue
gentoo support, but we will only use it inhouse for servers -- because of a
schizophrenic support model we have (servers run by one group, desktops by
another).

That bit of hairy detail being said, I would vote debian if anyone cares.

You should not consider this an official endorsement of debian over gentoo,
just the private musings of a madman with email.

--Ivan