[AG-TECH] RE Access Grid Hardware, expensive

Michael daley Mike.W.Daley at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Oct 1 07:49:44 CDT 2004

Hi Marie-Noelle
Here is a run down of machines that we currently use with configurations.

Cardiffs configurations with AG2.3 software.
We have been running a number of different configurations. As perminent
nodes
Our main grid node is the standard 4 machine configuration.
Our display machine has 6 video heads
(One Quadra 4 head PCI card and 1 Matrox G450 dual head). On a dual
Pentium III 1Gig processors.
Never had a problem with this. Running under XP. With a 1 Gig Ethernet Card
The video capture has 4 Hauppage Capture cards (Original spec) running
under Fedora again Dual P3 1Gig. With 100 M Ethercard
The Audio machine is standard SoundBlaster card (Orig spec) P3 1 gig
running under XP. 100 M Ethercard

We also have a lecture theatre set up as a PIG (Done this summer)which is
1 PC running Fedora P4 3 gig. 3 Osprey capture cards. SoundBlaster audio
card and Dual head Matrox G550

We also have a PIG P4 3gig PC with USB Logitech camera and built in
sound card.

Another node is a desktop node
P4 2.8 gig with 3 monitors attached to a Matrox Parhelia Card. Video via
Logitech USB camera and. SoundBlaster Audio card

We have several laptop PIG configurations for members of staff.

In addition we have a "Mobile Grid" Which consists of two machines.
Video capture and display is done on a Dual Xeon processor, Osprey
Capture Cards and Matrox G200 4 Head Video Card
Audio capture on a P4 2.8 Gig Proc. with SoundBlaster Card
The Mobile grid is taken to various exhibitions around Wales. We have
successfully demonstrated the Access Grid over Satallite links at 1 gig.
and even used Viz Server at the same time (Bit slow though would not
suggest it).
Not sure if this is any use.
All the best
Mike