[AG-TECH] Osprey 230 ? 300 ?

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Thu Nov 11 00:55:13 CST 2004

I'm trying to build another Linux super-PiG (1 box, 3 cameras)
and was re-reading the September discussion.

Has anyone tried the new Osprey 230 or 300 (PCI-X compliant) ?
I see they ship a Linux driver (and patch for RedHat).

We currently have the Hauppage Impact which I like as it has 1 s-video
and 3 composite inputs (have to play with driver options to get all 4 to
work, but 3 out of 4's not bad) so I can switch between a room camera and
a document camera for instance. The Osprey seems to have a breakout cable
with S-video and composite inputs but it's not obvious how many.
I'd prefer to use s-video over composite in the security-camera quad
card, anyway, apart from wanting switchable inputs.

Also, is dual-CPU still necessary, with 3GHz CPUs ? I see Rat tends to
use 90% CPU but I'm not sure if it's "real" usage or if it can be
harmlessly pre-empted by other things (vic, for instance). Incidentally,
what's Rat up to, sitting in a polling loop or something ? Vic uses
hardly any CPU in comparison; I guess it's more DMA and interrupt-driven.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376
security at triumf.ca