[AG-TECH] question about gpt RPM installation

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Tue May 18 21:43:16 CDT 2004

Hi Joseph,

http://www.fedora.redhat.com/participate/developers-guide/ch-rpm-building.html
> ) but I still don't understand exactly how the RPM knows what to do when
> asked to install. Does RPM automatically copy everything from %{buildroot}
> to the files in the %files part ?

As /usr/lib/gpt was specified in the %file step, it implicitly says that
everything under the following dir:
  %{buildroot}/usr/lib/gpt
will get packed up in the generated binary RPM (gpt-1.0-3.i386.rpm),
subsequently when the RPM is installed, the files will be unpacked under:
  /usr/lib/gpt

> Just to be clear, let's see an example (I hope you don't mind it...). The
> lines concerning the installation in gpt.spc are :
> %define name            gpt
> %define version         1.0
> %define prefix          /usr/lib/%{name}
{snip}
> %files
> %defattr(-,root,root)
> /usr/lib/gpt
{snip}

> I see nothing which says or does install GPT in the prefix location... And
> this is what I'm would like to understand !

%{prefix} gets set to /usr/lib/gpt and the %files step specifes
/usr/lib/gpt....

Cheers,
Doug