[AG-TECH] features of 2.2 and future roadmap?

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 18 08:32:40 CDT 2004

Hi Ivo,

We're working on the beta right now. The list of features in the 2.2 release
(at last a pretty complete but partial list) is:

Updated to Python 2.3 (2.2 still supported on legacy platforms)
Update to the latest SOAPpy, Python 2.3
Update to newer pyGlobus and Globus Toolkit (on linux)
New packaging
Streamlined Certificate Management User Interfaces
Support for Service Certificates
Support for an Anonymous Certificate Request Services
New Node Service Packaging, which supports more flexible Node Services
Shared Applications Developers Tools, Examples and a Programmers Manual
A Venue Client Control Interface (so the Venue Client can be
programmatically controlled)
Usage logging in the Venue Server
Automatic reconnection for the Venue Client

> a feature i'd really like to see in future is some kind of
> notification
> possibility. one can "ring" someone in the venue, or gets notificated,
> if someone enters the venue.

I need to understand what you mean by this, since it's not clear what
"ringing" someone you're in the same virtual room with means. If I interpret
it correctly, it's more of a "tap on the shoulder" -- a way to get someone's
attention. If I'm correct, that's a great feature request, could you put it
in bugzilla and we'll be sure to get to it.

> another thing that i do not know if it is already possible,
> but would be
> quite useful: connect the venue client and the local standardbrowser.
> one can click on some link, that directs the venue client to that
> specified venue. and aswell the opposite way, to direct the local
> standard browser to a url from an object located in a venue.

This is in the works, we're working with NCSA to make it possible to launch
the venue client (or redirect an existing client) to the venue specified by
something you click on. Going the other direction is something that is
possible in various ways, but if you can describe it more completely I can
see what is possible.

> how about the mentioned venueVNC. is this some kind of VNC that is
> integrated in the venue client? is that really planned or
> just a thought.
> (http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/fl/research/accessgrid/wiki/moin.
cgi/Notes_20for_202_2e2_20release)

The VenueVNC client will be included in the 2.2 software release. We'll
follow-on after the official release with a service package that people who
want to provide vnc services can use to put vnc services in virtual venues.
We are still working on the model for VNC-like applications and the service
model fits the best, right now, we're going to be putting some work into
making that more seamless and integrated this fall.

> what do you think about these features?

I think they're great, keep them coming!

Thanks for taking the time to send them.

--Ivan