[AG-TECH] question about gpt RPM installation

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Tue May 18 01:04:06 CDT 2004

Hi Joseph,

> I have a question about gpt installation.
>
> In fact, I'm opening the src.rpm using Debian command alien -t then I read
> the *.spec file to see how it works and reproduce quite the same thing.
>
> However, I have been suprised by the gtp spec file from gpt-1.0-2.src.rpm
> . Indeed, the %build is :
>
> %build
> export GPT_LOCATION=%{buildroot}%{prefix}
> ./build_gpt
>
> with
> %define name            gpt
> %define version         1.0
> %define prefix          /usr/lib/%{name}
> %define buildroot       /var/tmp/%{name}-%{version}

The %{buildroot} directory is just a temporary location during an rpmbuild
for storing files which will end up in the final RPM.

It's the %files step which indicates which files are included in the RPM and
where they will be installed to.

> When I do it, all the installation files are installed in
> /var/tmp/gtp-1.0/usr/lib/gpt and there is nothing else about GPT, I think,
> on the hard disk.

When the gpt RPM is installed, the files are located in /usr/lib/gpt and
/etc/profile.d/.

> Do I have to understand that this package is installed in
> /var/tmp/gpt-1.0/usr/lib/gpt even if the GPT_LOCATION, setup at the end of
> the script, is /usr/lib/gpt ? Is it right ?

No. You might want to see the RPM-Howto to see which sections of a RPM SPEC
file have an impact on the RPM building process and which have an impact on
the final RPM when it is actually installed, see:

  http://www.rpm.org/RPM-HOWTO/

I don't know much about Debian's alien, perhaps it was designed mostly for
binary RPMs rather than SRC-RPMs?

Cheers,
Doug