[AG-TECH] Quality of video in vic from Videum boards

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Tue May 4 03:50:11 CDT 2004

Many thanks for the tweak to get rid of the grey borders - Matt
or I will give it a whirl.

Bit puzzled by your comment about S-Video (aka Y-C) signal being
expected through a BNC connector: Y-C refers to the two components
(Y (luminance) and C (chrominance)) and so requires four pins
(three at a pinch, but I've never seen the grounds being shared).

Composite signals are normally bandwidth limited so that horizontal
resolution is limited to 250 lines or so; Y-C signals typically
produce 400 lines resolution [note for those not familiar with this:
this refers to what can be resolved along a horizontal scan line,
and is unrelated to the sampling (768 x 576, 640x480, 320x240 or
whatever) of the whole frame].  Personally I've never had the time
to set up a side-by-side comparison of the results of using
composite versus Y-C as the source of a video conference feed,
but both signals have so much more bandwidth than VC that I have
used whichever is more convenient, plug-and-socketwise, in VC
situations.

In the studio, of course, things are different and I use digital
for first preference, then component, then Y-C and composite as a
last choice, but then there's nothing scrunching the signal down
to less than a Mbit/sec in the signal chain!

Thanks again

Chris

Chris Osland                                               Office tel: +44
(0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid                          Medialab tel: +44 (0)
1235 446459
BIT Department                                     Access Grid room tel: +44
(0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk                                       Fax: +44
(0) 1235 445597
CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK
[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of the
intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take any action on it or show
it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]