[AG-TECH] Re: [Westgrid-AGTech] FYI - Kodak's 3-D display sys tem

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 29 04:02:42 CST 2004

...snip
> ... In one of the direction we use in fact a
> side by side multiplexer to make sure the frames arrive at
> the same time.
...snip

For an exhibition in 1997 I ran a stereo projection system using
two timecode-locked Betacam machines.  The content was all
virtual reality models of various physics experiments (current
and future - bits of CERN etc..), and the originals were frame
accurate.

We found that in those circumstances, the two sequences *appeared*
perfectly in sync if the timecode locking was dead on or +- one
frame.  It was perfectly watchable at +- 2 frames, but you could
see that something was a bit out, and that at more than 2 frames
out it was best not watched.

These were PAL frames (40 milliseconds each) of course, so 2 frames
are 80 millisecs.  NTSC frames at 33 millisecs each might just let
you get away with 3 frames (100 millisecs), but I rather doubt it.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                                               Office tel: +44
(0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid                          Medialab tel: +44 (0)
1235 446459
BIT Department                                     Access Grid room tel: +44
(0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk                                       Fax: +44
(0) 1235 445597
CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK
[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of the
intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take any action on it or show
it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]