[AG-TECH] speakers ... and Phoenix connectors

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 24 04:34:36 CST 2004

I'm not going to use the term monitor because, at least this side
of the Atlantic, the terms [loud]speaker and monitor are equivalent;
either may be passive or active.  Some people seem to draw a
distinction between active and self-powered, but the difference is
beyond me.  Marketing people may like to use the term monitor to
indicate 'a higher class of speaker', but then they would.

I believe that it is better to use active speakers for three main
of reasons:

1.  by including the amps as part of the speaker, it means that all
    audio wiring in the AG environment can use balanced (2 cores
    plus screen, or star-quad in difficult situations) cable.  As
    well as making maintenance easier, this means that there are no
    cables carrying significant current around the place, so cable
    lengths can be arbitrarily long without problems of power loss.

2.  by having the amps as an integral part of the speaker, (and
    in some cases having multiple amps per box), the quality of the
    sound can be improved FOR THE SAME COST.

3.  by having the amps directly connected to the speakers, the
    designers can incorporate overload protection in each box,
    (in the input stage of the amps, where it's cheap and easy)
    as they know the rating of the actual drive units.  Some
    even have lifetime guarantees that if the amp blows the
    drive unit, the speaker will be replaced free of charge.
    I don't think that's true of the Genelecs but it is true
    of the Questeds in my studio.

None of these advantages are available if you use separate amps
and passive speakers, although you can obviously get systems
that cost less than (for example) the Genelec 1029A's.

As for the Phoenix connectors on the Gentner/ClearOne ... just
make up as many short Phoenix <-> XLR leads as you are going to use
input and output channels (female or male XLRs as required) and
then regard the Gentner/ClearOne as a box with XLR connectors
like the rest of the audio equipment universe!  Better still,
if you've got things rack-mounted, interface the whole system
with a termination panel which has all the required XLR, BNC,
Y/C sockets on it, and then wire that back to the Gentner/ClearOne
and video capture cards as required.  In that way the whole unit can
be rolled around having disconnected the cables to the outside
world, rather than scrambling around inside the rack.  Remember
to label the sockets on the termination panel!

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                                               Office tel: +44
(0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid                          Medialab tel: +44 (0)
1235 446459
BIT Department                                     Access Grid room tel: +44
(0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk                                       Fax: +44
(0) 1235 445597
CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK
[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of the
intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take any action on it or show
it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]