[AG-TECH] Latest Tech Thoughts: document for discussion NOW

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 2 10:22:13 CST 2004

Just a few technical questions.  I haven't seen the background
to this (the style of the document implies quite a bit of previous
work) so please disregard if things have already been discussed
before.

RCA connectors being used for video:  these are second only to
S-Video connectors in their unreliability (OK, SCART connectors
are pretty bad too).  For anything like this I would have thought
that reliability was key, so a locking (BNC) connector would be
vastly better.

Cellphones (= mobile phones):  I work part-time in the Emergency
Department (= ER) in a large UK hospital (John Radcliffe in Oxford)
and anyone with a mobile phone switched on is given one chance and
about 15 seconds to turn it off anywhere inside the the hospital,
technically even in the restaurant.  This applies to everyone -
surgeons, ambulance crews, police included.  Maybe there's a culture
difference either side of the Atlantic, but the only things tolerated
over here are bleeps, which receive but do not transmit, and are
therefore not any sort of danger to ECG readings and other monitor
and control equipment.  Maybe it's because of the different band
that the USA uses compared with the rest of the world.

Apologies if I have misunderstood.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                                               Office tel: +44
(0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid                          Medialab tel: +44 (0)
1235 446459
BIT Department                                     Access Grid room tel: +44
(0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk                                       Fax: +44
(0) 1235 445597
CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK
[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of the
intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take any action on it or show
it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]