[AG-TECH] Multicast

Williams S.R. S.R.Williams at Swansea.ac.uk
Fri Jun 25 04:32:29 CDT 2004

Hi Chris

> Someone tell me I'm just having a bad week!

You're having a bad day.

> from a different manufacturer, the chances are that multicast
> doesn't work until someone complains that it isn't working.

I think this is an interesting line and shadows our experience. With the
increase in real-time traffic the tendency of many sites' admins to just do
a 'quick fix' which may reload a router/switch/firewall(!) or drop a link
for a few seconds is having a greater impact - as voice/video calls are
being dropped. Of course the old web/mail traffic doesn't care. Same applies
with longer fixes/kit changes -  but no thorough check of whether the
network is completely back up.

There may be a need for education here in that site admins need to be more
aware that they no longer can do the little 're-jigs' with the network - or
at least they need to check what is going on first.

Maybe there should be a longer checklist for after re-jigs. Changing from:

Ping  OK / Not OK
Web page OK / Not OK

Which seems to be common, to:

IPv4 Ping OK / Not OK
IPv6 Ping OK / Not OK
Multicast beacon OK / Not OK
etc

It would be interesting for people who have kit combinations running to
share them. E.g. we run PIM through Cisco<->Riverstone<->Riverstone<->Cisco
but MSDP only Cisco to Cisco - hops over the Riverstones. That works OK for
us at the moment, but I am getting high CPU on Cisco 7206 = +20% per 8Mbps
multicast stream.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Williams