[AG-TECH] Setup guide for VenueVNC

Eric Olson eolson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 16 10:05:36 CDT 2004

Hi Jeremy,
That error looks like you're using a 2.1.2 shared app with a 2.2
VenueClient (correct me if I'm wrong).  You need the 2.2 version of
VenueVNC.

The VenueVNC client is installed automatically with AGTk 2.2, so if
someone starts a server users can easily connect to it.
The 2.2 VenueVNC server is available in cvs, so you can use it, but it
hasn't been officially released or supported.  We're planning on polishing
up any loose ends and releasing it separately.

That being said here is the current status:
The server currently only starts in linux.  The server is started from the
commandline (not the VenueClient).  Running VenueVNCServer.py with no
arguments will give you the list of options.  I typically use:
> python2 VenueVNCServer.py https://venueurl :1 "VenueVNC title"
That last part is the optional name.

If anyone can't wait for us to fix the remaining issues, and would
like to look at them sooner, here they are:
* Server doesn't start in windows yet (server uses tightvnc).
* Needs updated documentation
* Needs directions for managing permissions
  How to connect to and manage shared app authorization similar to venues.
* Packaging needs to be looked at (have had an rpm and tarball before).

I'll be out of town for a week, so I may be slow to respond to e-mail, but
others might be able to help.

Eric