[AG-TECH] Problems with RH9 and 2.2

Conference Accessgrid accessgrid at ulm.edu
Tue Jun 15 14:03:03 CDT 2004

Hello,

I have a RH9 video machine and the rest of the node is XP.  XP won't stop
combining all the video cards into one entry called Microsoft video capture
device so the video machine was built with linux.  2.1.2 works flawlessly in
this setup.  All the VIC's are comming up like they are suppose to.

Then I upgraded to 2.2.......

Now my linux machine has lots of problems.  Here they are in order.

1.  When installing I have to use the force (--force) command in order to
combat this install error: (python-optik is used by up2date and the files are
already in the location that the AccessGrid software is tring to install.)

Installing package: AccessGrid

Preparing...                ###########################################
[100%]

        file /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/optik/__init__.py from install
of AccessGrid-2.2-6 conflicts with file from package python-optik-1.4-2

        file /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/optik/errors.py from install
of AccessGrid-2.2-6 conflicts with file from package python-optik-1.4-2

        file /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/optik/help.py from install of
AccessGrid-2.2-6 conflicts with file from package python-optik-1.4-2

        file /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/optik/option.py from install
of AccessGrid-2.2-6 conflicts with file from package python-optik-1.4-2

        file /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/optik/option_parser.py from
install of AccessGrid-2.2-6 conflicts with file from package
python-optik-1.4-2

Installation finished.

Once installed...

2.  (most severe part)  When I try to connect to the service manager it lets
me, i choose either videoservice or videoproducerservice and the correct
device (/dev/video0)

Here's where the problem occours.  The windows venue client sends out the
WINDOWS!! executable over to the linux machine and tried to run it which of
course does not work.

I worked around that by copying the two video zip files from the linux machine
to the windows machine(display)

Well, next time I tried to start the video it sent over the video zip file
that I just coppied over and vic started up like it was suppose to.

That was fine, now i have one video source working.  However when i tried to
add another source it would not let me add anything except X11???  I tried and
tried but it would always let me add one input device but never more then
one.  There's not even an option to choose a device on the other ones.  Not
even in the vic windows on the linux machine.  Under device, all they show is
X11 except for the first vic instance that was run.  So as of right now I have
had to revert back to 2.1.2.  Is there no SetupVideo in 2.2 anymore??  In
fact, I can't seem to find anywhere where 2.2 looks for the video devices

HELP!!!!

Adam Taylor
Computing Center
University of Louisiana at Monroe