[AG-TECH] 2.3 backwards compatibility?

Thomas Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 30 14:03:52 CDT 2004

Dioselin Gonzalez wrote:

> Hi all!  A couple of questions:
>
> *  Has 2.3 been tested with wxPython 2.5?  I had it installed in my
> PIG (windows XP, Python 2.3, AGTk 2.2) and the venue client couldn't
> start.  After replacing wxPython 2.5 with version 2.4, the venue
> client starts.

The 2.2 release did have problems running with wxPython 2.5.  We are
moving in the direction of wx2.5 for the next release, but will maintain
compatibility with wx2.4 if possible.

> * I installed the shared movie viewer, but it doesn't run.  The errors
> have to do with modules/functions that don't exist anymore in the
> toolkit.  Do we pretty much have to rewrite the applications or is
> there going to be another release/patch for backwards compatibility?

The movie viewer was written for the 2.1.2 release.  The 2.2 release
introduced module structure changes that require some small changes in
that code.  We should detail these changes to help people who have to
make them; meanwhile, we're happy to address issues that people run into.

Tom