[AG-TECH] AG Question

Michael Daw michael.daw at man.ac.uk
Fri Jul 30 03:57:30 CDT 2004

Lisa,

What I say to people who want to interoperate between AG and H.323 is that
it's just not possible at the moment. The VRVS team and inSORS both offer
possible solutions, but in our experience, neither of these are
satisfactory, for different reasons. VRVS has all the bits, but I don't know
of anyone who's used it successfully (I know a few who've been unsuccessful,
despite a lot of effort). InSORS has a commercial AG-H.323 bridge, but there
are problems with video quality and the fact that it requires an operator to
select video streams for the H.323 endpoints.

(I hope I'm representing inSORS and VRVS fairly from a neutral's viewpoint -
I know they both have people on this list, in case they want to argue with
my interpretation!)

Kate Caldwell (U. of Cambridge and cc-ed) led up a report on this subject
recently. Unfortunately, it's not yet in the public domain, but will be
within the next month or two, hopefully, at which point I'll announce it on
AG-TECH.

Mike
(Manager of the UK AGSC - http://www.agsc.ja.net, among other roles...)