Windows XP Multicast problems (was re: [AG-TECH] venue client problems)

Niall Brady bradyn at tchpc.tcd.ie
Wed Jul 28 05:40:23 CDT 2004

[sorry, sent a personal copy to Bob previously; now to the list]

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 01:00:56PM -0400, Bob Riddle wrote:
> here's a word about my previous experience using multicast on WinXP - it
> uses IGMPv3 by deafult - so you can join a multicast group, but if all
> the switches in line aren't IGMPv3 aware, the "is anyone listening"
> message from the router never gets passed along, so the multicast
> traffic disappears in about 3-5 minutes.
>
> I would take a Linux machine (whcih uses IGMPv2) on the same subnet as
> the WinXP machine and  "listen" to the same multicast group as the AG
> romm I was "in" with the WInXP machine ... and everything worked out fine.

There seems to be a Microsoft hotfix listed at

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815752&Product=winxp

but it's a paid-for solution from a quick look at it.

--
Niall Brady,
Trinity Centre for High Performance Computing,