[AG-TECH] venue client problems

Markus Buchhorn Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au
Tue Jul 27 18:24:08 CDT 2004

At 01:00 PM 27/07/2004 -0400, Bob Riddle wrote:
>here's a word about my previous experience using multicast on WinXP - it uses IGMPv3 by deafult - so you can join a multicast group, but if all the switches in line aren't IGMPv3 aware, the "is anyone listening" message from the router never gets passed along, so the multicast traffic disappears in about 3-5 minutes.

The problems with the venue server though aren't multicast, afaics - this is just the unicast connection between the venue client and venue server, long before the multicast a/v apps kick in.

But thanks for the cheery news that something else is fragile :-) (although it hasn't bitten us here, both our multi-machine nodes are fully xp and we have no [multicast] problems over many hours).

Cheers,
        Markus

Markus Buchhorn, ANU Internet Futures Group,      |Ph: +61 2 61258810
Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au, mail: Bldg #108 CS&IT |Fx: +61 2 61259805
The Australian National University, Canberra 0200 |Mob: 0417 281429