[AG-TECH] AG1 to AG2 Transitional Plan and Timeline

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 27 16:12:17 CDT 2004

> > Here is the timeline of the transition we are planning on following:
> >
> > May 4, 2003:
> > 	Moratorium on the creation of all AG 1 Venues, and AG 1 Bridge
> > registrations,
> >      as announced at the May Town Hall.
> >
> > June 4, 2003:
> > 	Start AG2 Production Institutional Venue Service.
> > 	  - Service Details:
> >            Limited Support
> >            No Bridging Services provided, but institutions
> can run their
> >              own bridges against their own venue
> >            1 Venue per Institution
> >            No Security/Authorization
> >
> > September 3, 2003:
> >      AG 1 Institutional Venues (and their AG1 Bridges) are
> turned off.
> >
> > December 1, 2003:
> >      AG 1 Core Venues and remaining AG 1 Bridging are turned off.
>
> Sorry if I'm just adding noise to the list, but I couldn't
> find the status of these items.  How are things progressing
> compared to this projection?

You're not adding to noise, this is all great content on the list :-)

Status update:

We're still in the moratorium. We have not started the production
institutional venue server. But here are the plans for doing so:

The new IVS (Institutional Venue Server) will be as described above,
however, once we announce its availability, anyone desiring a venue on it
will have to fill out a form on a web page. This form will automatically
create the venue for you (when you hit submit). We're asking folks to supply
more information than we did for previous Institutiona Venues. This
information is being used to auto-generate databases that can be queried for
things like "where are nodes in illinois?", etc. Please fill this
information out completely and accurately, you will only be asked to do so
once :-).

Since we have not launched this new server (which hasn't happened because
we're doing heavy stability work on the venue server in general), we'll
delay the shut down of the existing institutional venue server until Oct 1.

Otherwise, we're still on track.

Thanks for the question,

--Ivan, who declined mensa :-)