[AG-TECH] My Passphrase

Mike 'Mike' Jones mike.jones at man.ac.uk
Wed Jul 21 10:47:29 CDT 2004

Nigel,

Tom is right:  your passphrase is used to encrypt /your/ private key which
you generated.  If all this certificate lark is done properly, there
should only ever be one private key for your certificate (in your case,
this is almost certainly the true) and you locked your private key with a
passphrase before you sent the certificate request of to the accessgrid
CA.

If you can't remember your passphrase you have two options, crack it or
scrap it!  If you can crack your passphrase you probably should have used
a better one!

The best course of action is to try all your usual passphrases and maybe
some variations that may have occured accidentally (up to 5 minutes); if
not successful, bin the certificate and request a new one.  If the
Accessgrid CA is a strong CA it will require that you revoke your old
certificate.

Best of luck,
Mike

--