[AG-TECH] rpm vs. rpmbuild with Core 2

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Tue Jul 6 20:09:25 CDT 2004

> On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 11:08:05AM -0500, Joshua M. Brown wrote:
> > ...er, how does that effect the rpm build scripts if i'm trying to build
> > AG2.2 on Fedora Core 2? The reason i ask is to avoid beating my head
> > against any walls that i don't have to :)
>
> Install rpm-build:
>
> yum install rpm-build
>
> and use rpmbuild --rebuild instead of rpm --rebuild:
>
> rpmbuild --rebuild foo.src.rpm
>
> This change was made many years ago, by the way.  Red Hat 9 and 8.0,
> at least, need "rpmbuild" instead of just "rpm" for building packages.

In the doc directory of CVS:
  http://fl-cvs.mcs.anl.gov/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/AccessGrid/doc/

You will find a document called "AG-Linux-Build-HOWTO" which describes how
to build on Linux.

There are issues building AG 2.2 from SRPMs, so you need to follow the
procedure in that document.

For Fedora Core 2, you will need to do the following steps:

1. copy packaging/linux/fedora/fc2/AccessGrid.spec.in to
packaging/linux/rpm/AccessGrid.spec.in
2. apply the following patch:

http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~agn/ag_fedora/FC2/unstable/patches/agtk2.2fc2.patch
3: If your want Alsa 1.0 sound driver support, apply the patch from:
   http://www.ap-accessgrid.org/linux/rat/index.html

The new AccessGrid.spec contains support for the new XDG menus used in
Fedora Core 2, rather than the legacy Gnome/KDE.
The agtk2.2fc2.patch hasn't been added to CVS yet and fixes a couple of
problems.

wxPython can be obtained from Fedora Extras at http://www.fedora.us

You can build xawtv from the Fedora Core1 SRPM by issuing
'rpmbuild --rebuild xawtv-*src.rpm'.

There is a CVS RPM snapshot available at:
  http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~agn/ag_fedora/FC2/unstable/RPMS/

Note: There are issues with the version in CVS at the moment and I wouldn't
recommend it for a production system at this time.

Cheers,
Doug