[AG-TECH] webcam with zoom?

Ron Crummett roncrummett at mail.caynetco.com
Tue Jul 6 13:09:23 CDT 2004

Hello -

I am looking for a webcam along the lines of the PC cam you set on your monitor that features an optical zoom.  The PC cam I have been using is okay as long as I am quite close, but I have a client whose desk will not allow him to get close enough for a decent picture.

I have heard mention of the Logitech QuickCam Orbit, but it mentions a digital zoom - no optical - and I question if that will really be any better.  It seems to me that the resolution would suffer and a poorer quality video would be the end result.

It also seems strange to me that there is such a price gap in the camera cost - you can buy a simple webcam with a $150 ceiling, and you can buy the PTZ cameras with a floor near $900.  Surely there has to be something inbetween?

Any suggestions?

That's it from here.  More to come as the plot thickens...

Ron Crummett
CayNet Consulting
(208) 424-1228 office
(208) 850-6589 cell