[AG-TECH] Unicast connectivity

Ronald Crummett ron_crummett at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 26 12:53:39 CST 2004

I have run into several problems, it seems, in setting up an AccessGrid
node.  Let me explain the whole situation to you and see if you can help
then.

I am currently working on a project to set up an AccessGrid node on a PC for
the University of Idaho Aquacultural center in Hagerman, Idaho, about 1.5
hours southeast of Boise, where I am currently residing.  The center in
Hagerman is currently under construction but will have the multicast
Internet2 connections.  The distance between the Hagerman center and myself,
in addition to the lack of IT professionals at the center, has led me to
pursue a course of installing, configuring, and testing an AccessGrid node
here in Boise, and then taking it to Hagerman for permanent use and minimal
IT management.

Right now, I am trying to become familiar with setting up and configuring an
AccessGrid node by installing the software on my laptop.  I have installed
the necessary software and would like to test my node, but when I try to
connect I only see myself because I am not on a multicast connection.  I do
most of my Internet-related work on the network at Boise State University
and the school does not have multicast-enabled connections.

I am looking for a possible workaround so that I can connect to AccessGrid
using the unicast connections available at Boise State.  Many of you have
suggested using VRVS and while this does appear to be a viable alternative,
it does not present me with the option to do what I need to do; that is,
test and configure an actual AccessGrid node.

Is there a way to connect to AccessGrid using my unicast connection, a way
which will enable me to test and configure my own AccessGrid node?  I have
seen something about a utility called VTC but I do not know what I need to
do with it in order for it to help me.  Again, I do this not for myself, but
rather to become familiar with the operation of an AccessGrid node.  Thanks
for the assistance.  I look forward to hearing your suggestions.