[AG-TECH] headset splitter

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Sat Feb 28 17:04:19 CST 2004

I don't want to be a damp squib on this, and with some hardware
what is being suggested (paralleling all the headphones and all
the mics) might, just, work with multiple (>2) headsets, but at
some stage (depending on the preferred impedance and available
power of the mic and headphone connections on the desktop)
the result is likely to be ghastly quality, especially from the
mics.

The official solution would be an active headphone splitter for the
headphones and an active mic mixer for the mics.  That way the
desktop doesn't see (e.g. for 4 headsets) an impedance a quarter
of what it was expecting, and the mic input doesn't get a jumble
of all the signals.  I don't know of a suitable unit on the market
that price-matches the sort of headset you're using; while there
are some very affordable little mic mixers (try Behringer's range)
headphone splitters are a dreadful price (I haven't seen that
Behringer make one - market opening, someone?!).

Cheers

Chris Osland

Chris Osland                                               Office tel: +44
(0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid                          Medialab tel: +44 (0)
1235 446459
BIT Department                                     Access Grid room tel: +44
(0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk                                       Fax: +44
(0) 1235 445597
CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK
[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of the
intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take any action on it or show
it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]