[AG-TECH] H.323 Integration in Access Grid

S.Booth spb at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 06:50:06 CST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Sanders, Donell wrote:

> According to the AGDP, we use VRVS to connect H.323 stuff to the AG.  Is
> this still true?  If so, how easy/hard is it?  Is the documentation
> current/accurate?  I need to do this in an AG room that will be used mainly
> for H.323 connection, but our CIO also wants to use the room for AG.  If
> there's another solution, PLEASE let me know.

I have found the video quality  via VRVS a bit poor
It also does not allow you to connect to arbitrary H.323 sessions.
H.323 equipment can connect to VRVS
VRVS can be bridged into the main argonne venues but not the institutional
venues.
Its certainly not a good solution. IMHO

If you are interested in using the same studio for either AG
meetings or H.323 there are better solutions.
If you have a single node setup (or as we do add additional audio/capture
cards to your display node) then you can run netmeeting on the display
node.
If you need something more robust than netmeeting then you are looking at
a H.323 codec card for the display node or cross connecting the
cameras/audio to a videoconf unit.

			Stephen