[AG-TECH] What's typical loss on multicast video/audio?

John I Quebedeaux Jr johnq at lsu.edu
Fri Feb 13 19:11:48 CST 2004

I have been reporting to my networking staff that I've been seeing
losses on the order of 1-15% on my incoming multicast video/audio when
participating in events and that those participating do report that
they see some loss coming from me as well. Sometimes its only around
2-3% on average - other times its 5-10%.. and jumps up and down. This
happens regardless of the node I operate (we have a permanent
installation in one building and a PIG in another building).

Testing, by inserting our PIG into various points into our campus
network and observing the general trend in our venue with some helpful
participants and by general observation in the AG Lobby, seems to
indicate that while we have a little loss (<1%) across core
backbone/network enforcer/intrusion detection device - we have a
greater loss coming from our state network. They tell me we're the
first in our state to utilize multicast on the network... so perhaps
there are some issues still to be worked out.

The question my network guy asked me was if this loss was typical or
atypical of what other sites doing Access Grid/Multicast activity
usually see. I would maintain that it isn't.... but have to ask the
question out there for a reality check.

Lately, it seems, that 3 out of 4 events I run are with sites that have
multicast issues so our quickbridge comes in real handy. For those
where we do have multicast connectivity - this missing packet loss (as
reported on the vic rtp stats) is a constant nag.

Thanks for any feedback!

-John Q.
--
John I. Quebedeaux, Jr.
Computer Manager / LBRN & CCT / LSU 131 Life Sciences Bldg.