[AG-TECH] why 3 sound cards?

Don Morton Don.Morton at umontana.edu
Thu Feb 12 05:33:06 CST 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:38:21 +0100, "Natalia Costas Lago"
<natalia at cesga.es> said:

> Hi,
>
> I have an easy question. I've seen the recommendation about using 3 sound
> cards for audio computer, but I cant understand their functionality. Why
> is not enough with only 1 sound card?? (it is obvious when thinking about
> capture cards, but not when talking about sound).

I say this VERY jokingly, but I can't resist, and to the best of my
knowledge it's still true (though I haven't been keeping up with the
technology side like I use to)......

The answer is, because they've been telling us for the past four years
that we're going to need three sound cards "someday" so we all go
out and buy them and only use one, until we finally give up and
start pulling them out for use in PIGs and such!!! :)

   Don Morton                      http://www.cs.umt.edu/~morton/
   Department of Computer Science       The University of Montana
   Missoula, MT 59812 | Voice (406) 243-4975 | Fax (406) 243-5139

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the
most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
-Edward Abbey, naturalist and author (1927-1989)