[AG-TECH] Encryption of Access Grid 2.x Sessions

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Feb 1 14:20:56 CST 2004

Hey Allan,

> I was talking with Obana-son of NTT concerning a conference
> that EVL and some other Japanese institutions will be
> participating in, and he expressed an interest in using AG
> 2.x to have the encrypted AG session (i.e.
> key-based/non-default encryption where some keys mst be exchanged).
> I would like to know whether it is possible to reserve an AG
> 2 room that would provide this capability.  If this is not
> possible, how difficult would it be to set up a venue server
> that could provide these capabilities and what additional
> software would be needed to do this (such as the different
> things you describe below)?

It's not clear to me what "the different things you describe below"
includes. If you can be more explicit I think the answers to your questions
are easy to find.

Currently, any AG2 venue can be told to be "secure" some are secure by
default, such as those at https://ag-2.mcs.anl.gov:8000/, others like the
tvs https://vv2.mcs.anl.gov:9000/ are not. The encryption coupled with
authorization enables the same effective security model as AG1, you can not
allow people in the venue so they can't have the encryption keys.

This is all available now, if you are interested in using this, I suggest
you find a place to run a venue server and get familiar with administrating
it. Then you can modify the list of authorized users yourself.

--Ivan