[AG-TECH] Current soundcards in use with Alsa and rat?

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 23 09:47:27 CST 2004

This effect can be explained if you look at the architecture of AC97
sound chip.

Below (if you can see HTML mail, if not, the image is from the
datasheet at

http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2934,AD1819B,00.html

you will see the block diagram of a typical AC97 device. Note that all
inputs route through a selector, then to what this datasheet calls a
PGA, a programmable gain amplifier. The gain on that amplifier is what
controls the input capture level. This level adjustment is exposed in
the OSS audio drivers as the Igain or Reclevel control, I believe. I
don't recall what ALSA calls it. Adjusting the line-in volume level
controls the gain in the line-in -> output mixer -> line out signal
path, which is why that level must be set to zero to keep local
loopback from occuring.

The OSS code in rat attempts to detect if the soundcard in use is AC97
compatible (currently, by using a hardcoded list of device names). If
it determines that it is AC97, it maps the capture volume control to
control the igain signal and sets the line in level to zero, making rat
act correctly.

I haven't looked closely at the ALSA rat code, but I suspect that it
needs to have similar changes made.

--bob