[AG-TECH] Fw: Test to get better XAP settings

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Mon Dec 20 06:15:05 CST 2004

This is written in a bit of a hurry and without the software in front of me
but basically ...

Mute the feed to your speakers.

For each mic {

    set the coarse gain as necessary (usually the -50 or is it -55 dB)
    turn its meter on and adjust fine gain on the mic until loudish
        speaking gets it above the halfway (0 dB) mark while normal
        speaking has it just below
    turn off AGC (in my opinion)
    turn off gating if you're going to be in a small or medium meeting
        but arguably leave it on if you're in a monster meeting
    make sure echo cancellation is on and the reference is to the
        feed to your speakers
}

Now go to the Outputs frame and turn on the meter of the feed to the
audio computer.  Adjust its gain until it is like the mics' (just below 0 dB
for normal speech, just above for loud speaking).

Now go to RAT and get it so that normal speaking is usually green with
a few yellows, and loud speaking just occasionally hits a red.  Make sure
RAT silence suppression is OFF - let the Gentner do everything or it
will get confused and sulk.

Now turn your speakers back on and, in RAT, get the incoming level
from a trusted source into the same region (green/yellow normal, yellow/red
occasionally).

Now back to the Gentner and look at the Line input from the computer - get
that straddling 0 dB as above.

Now go to the Outputs frame and get the same result on the output(s)
feeding the speakers.

Finally go the the speakers (if active) or amps (if passive) and set the
sound
level to a comfortable level; if you have a sound level meter 70 dBA on
A-weighting is conventional.

Never be in a hurry to adjust audio when you first get into a venue; the
echo
canceller takes time to settle (say 2 mins) so let things ride for that
amount
of time while you get seating, lighting and camera angles sorted out, THEN
fix the audio if there's still a problem.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                                               Office tel: +44
(0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid                          Medialab tel: +44 (0)
1235 446459
BIT Department                                     Access Grid room tel: +44
(0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk                                       Fax: +44
(0) 1235 445597
CCLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK
[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of the
intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take any action on it or show
it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]