Smartest AG Room in the world??? Was: [AG-TECH] Electronic Whiteboards (fwd)

Rick Stevens stevens at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Dec 5 15:17:45 CST 2004

did anything ever come of this ?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 19:23:28 -0700
From: Brian Corrie <bcorrie at sfu.ca>
To: Markus Buchhorn <Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au>
Cc: Gurcharan S. Khanna <Gurcharan.S.Khanna at Dartmouth.EDU>,
     Robert Callaway <rob at engineering.ucsb.edu>, AG_TECH <ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov>
Subject: Smartest AG Room in the world??? Was: [AG-TECH] Electronic
    Whiteboards

Hello all,

We have a set of Smart Technologies smartboards in our AG node here at
Simon Fraser University. Yes they are expensive, but they also provide a
significantly different capability to that provided by the mimio. Both
are interesting devices to use.

We have started to explore how to integrate these into the AG
environment but have not gotten very far as of yet (really just starting
to look at this). An obvious way is to just use a normal shared
whiteboard app like wb and use the smartboard (or mimio) pens to
interface with the app. This is somewhat clumsy as the smartboard pens
have associated colors and set colors in different ways than the
applications (the applications do not know about the color of the pens).
The mimio will be the same here as it has pen colors... A second way is
to use a native app (mimio or smart) that knows about the pens and their
colors and use something like VNC to share the application to all sites.
Finally, a native collaborative app that knows about the device and
knows about collaboration would solve the problem. Not sure if such a
thing exists for the mimio but Smart has an app called Bridgit
(www.smarttech.com) that does this. Note that it only requires the Smart
technologies on one end (actually, I don't think it requires smart
technologies at all) so it can be used fairly naturally to display and
interact remotely even if you only have a "dumb" AG room. 8-)

Of course the next step is to integrate these types of tools and devices
into the AG as services or shared apps in some form... This is where we
would like to go in the future.

The benefit of something like Bridgit is that it allows remote users to
interact with the drawing as well (not sure how it does turn-taking).
Thus you could conceivably have a "Bridgit Service" that lived in a
venue and one could use their tablet PC as a node with only that service
running. Thus they would see and be able to interact with the
application regardless of whether they were remote or not...

I have attached an image of the "smartest AG room in the world" if you
are interested. The two left screens are plasmas with smart board
overlays, the screen in the corner is a rear projected LCD smartboard,
and the screen in the table is a plasma with a smart overlay (not used
in this image). This room was originally modeled on the Stanford IRoom,
with the AG collaboration capability added in to make it more
"interesting". It may be the smartest AG room in the world, but
sometimes it seems like you need to be a rocket scientist to make it all
work 8-)

Markus, I would be interested in sharing some experiences here...

Cheers,

Brian